The Imperial Russian Army Ordnance Board in 1892 accepted into service in the Mosin-Nagant bolt action 5 shot internal magazine 7.62×54 R cartridge rifle. It was the standard issue weapon to the Russian Army until the end of Second World War. However it was not fully phased out from front line service until it was replaced by the SKS. Selected models of the Mosin-Nagant were converted into sniper rifles modified to accept the PU sniper scope.
Used by elite marksmen drawn from professional hunters who had exceptional field skills. This ability combined with great marksman’s skills gleaned from hunting of the wild sable helped contribute to the fame of the Soviet sniper partnered with this rifle. Over 37 million Mosin Nagants have been manufactured and their proliferation and presence is seen through the modern conflicts seen in the world today.
Highgate has blank firing versions of this rifle allowing emulation of roles where this rifle is still in use.